Medical marijuana is undeniably helpful in the field of medicine. But because it is known to be a prohibited drug, a lot of people are still hesitant to give it a try despite the fact that has been legalized in some parts of the world. Even online stores like http://chalicefarms.com/ and many others made this product very accessible to the public. But the decision to take it is still a personal choice to make. And to help you come up with the right choice, below are the pros and cons of this product:
- According to the physicians’ perspective, the use of medical marijuana has been backed up by promising research and studies showing how this drug can be very valuable in dealing with myriads of symptoms and illnesses for both adults and children alike. It alleviates symptoms of epilepsy, cancer and Alzheimer’s to name a few. It is also very effective to ease down pain, making it possible for the patient to combat pain without the need to deal with the side effects of narcotics. And because it is a medicine, it is just right to put it under further research and studies just like other medicines in the market.
- Medical organizations like ACP strongly suggest that marijuana be treated as a schedule I controlled substance considering its proven efficacy and safety in many clinical conditions. This organization also appealed that physicians prescribing the drug be exempted from federal criminal prosecution nor will be the person who was prescribed and advised to take the drug in according to the state laws.
- Previous US president Barack Obama had spoken of medical marijuana as an appropriate prescription for medical use and that we should submit to the dictates of science and not to the ideology imposed by men.
- According to Dr. Lester Grinspoon from Harvard Medical School, no proof can point direct link of marijuana to emphysema or lung cancer. In fact, the city’s poor air quality that we breathe everyday can be more deadly than puffing this drug.
- Stuart Gitlow claimed; a former ASAM Board of Directors president stated that medical marijuana is just a sugar coat of the marijuana that we know of. Still, it is the same substance that can cause loss productivity, apathy, addictive illness, motor vehicle accidents, intellectual deterioration and psychosis.
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology opposed the claims that marijuana can treat glaucoma. In fact, this cans even further the damage in the eye.
- According to FDA, sound evidences showed the harmful effects of smoking marijuana. And there is no study proving that smoking it is safe.
- The National Institute of Drug Abuse professed that marijuana serves as a throat irritant. Hence, its frequent use can lead to heavy cough, It has toxic particles and gases which can harm the lings Hence its use is associated to increased airway resistance, large airway inflammation and lung hyperinflation.
Bottom line is, you need to decide for yourself whether to take medical marijuana or not. Experts may vary in their ideas and it’s all up to you which side will you be on.